Advanced · Historic Advanced · Historically Focused

Agnes von Heidelberg

Location: Barony of Coeur d’Ennui, Calontir

Category/Level: Historically Focused/Advanced

About Agnes: I’ve been in the SCA for more than a decade. I regularly hand sew almost all of the clothes my husband and I wear (I’m pretty sure my sewing machine is out to get me). I have made a number of Japanese outfits for both my husband and myself before. I will be dyeing most if not all of the fabric that will be used for this project and this will be the first time I have done this for a whole Japanese outfit. I have done single layers of Japanese items before and I have done the dyeing of all items for a Viking outfit before. I am actually making this as part of a pair of outfits but I am only entering the one outfit into the challenge. I will also be learning kumihimo for this project as it will be needed for the bag I plan to make. Some of the basic construction of kosode will be very easy for me as I have done it a number of times the challenge level will be in getting the dyeing, including shibori, done within the timeframe and learning a new skill, kumihimo. I do plan to start learning kumihimo before the official start date.

Her Project: The outfit will be for a Japanese woman, the style is seen in art ranging from the Kamakura era through the Muromachi and Momoyama periods (1185 – 1600). The primary imagery used will be Momoyama (1568 – 1600). There are several kosode (the period version of the kimono) layers as well as a final kosode that is worn over the head when walking out of the house. I will also be making a bag used for carrying things that can be seen in the art of the period. The most influential period image is from the folding screen found on this website

Beginner · Modern Beginner · Modern Recreationist

Catherine Collette

Location: Coeur d’Ennui, Calontir

Category/Level: Modern Recreationist/Beginner

About Catherine: I’m new to the SCA – I recently relocated from Barony of Axemoor to Coeur d’Ennui in the midst of the pandemic. I had planned to join my more experienced friends in Society for the Gulf Wars, but because of the pandemic, I’m doing my best to be active in the virtual community. I’ve been sewing off-and-on for many years, though until recently, my costumes have generally been on-offs for parades and theatrical performances, where they are not viewed up close and internal construction details aren’t as important. To that end, I’m excited to use this challenge to help me grow my technical skill and explore new historic techniques.

Her Project: My plan is for a completed outfit inspired primarily by the Hounds suit of the circa 1430 Stuttgart playing card deck. These cards reflect upper-class women in Germany (Upper Rhineland) in the early part of the 15th century. The outfit will include a chemise/hemd, gown (with detachable sleeves), and houppelande. In keeping with the playing card depictions, the outfit would likely be similar to that worn by a woman in the Queen’s service. For my fourth layer, I’ll be cooking a historic feast, hopefully using some foraged ingredients. While the outfit is not for a specific activity, as someone new to the SCA who has not yet attended any in-person events due to the pandemic, my goal is to produce a complete set of garb to show to good effect at my first event.

Advanced · Modern Advanced · Modern Recreationist

Gisele de la Fontaine

Location: Barony of Couer d’Ennui, Calontir

Category/Level: Modern Recreationist/Advanced

About Gisele: I have been in the SCA since about 2015/16, I don’t recall when exactly. I do not sew regularly for myself in the SCA, though I do sew quite a bit for my partner. I dabble a bit in period cooking, sometimes making period recipes by accident, period dying is fun and I have recently started tinkering with illumination since I have all these hard won watercolor skills that aren’t currently in use. This particular project ties nicely into the direction my persona is going, which is developing more French, though all my current garb is Flemish. I started Flemish, mostly because the garb was comfy and there is a certain quality to late period Flemish kitchen scenes that I love. But in the last couple years I have drifted more French because the period cookbooks are fun, the politics are bonkers and the women of the late period French are a force to be reckoned with.

Her Project: Late Period French Lady’s Ensemble. Between 1530-1550. Lesser Nobility or Wealthy Merchant Class woman(new money from the newly expanding global trade). Not a recreation of any one particular dress, but a combination of features I like from a selection of paintings within the same time period/region. Hood from one image, trim from another, etc. Much of it styled after one of my favorite French Mistresses, Diane de Poitiers, a brilliant woman who managed to stay in favor at the court through multiple French Kings with her intelligence and beauty. Mostly, this ensemble is all the things that have been on the “to make eventually for myself” list. I have had most of the materials for a while, but while I was costuming for a living(the pre-covid times) I usually didn’t have the motivation to also sew in my off hours. I have collected several images for inspiration.