From: Axed Root, Calontir
Category/Level: Historically Focused/Intermediate (Display Only)
Project Update Blog: Stars and Garters
About Vincent: I have been participating in the SCA for about 15 years. I do quite a bit of of basic costuming, especially helping newer members. Beyond sewing I work on a lot of general SCA projects and work on recruitment and retention efforts.
His Project: Mid fourteenth century middle class merchant from Western Europe. This is a commonly represented garment seen in illustrations. I am also working off of the men’s fourteenth century gown from the second edition Medieval Tailors Assistant.
This is the base layer of my attempt for a 1350’s merchant. It would be a middle class merchant from western Europe.
Linen Braies: long white linen braies, machine sewn, hand seam finished
Wool Hosen: Machine sewn, hand seam finished
Linen shirt: White linen, machine sewn, hand seam finished
Linen coif: White linen, machine sewn, hand seam finished
The layer consists of the linen doublet. This is an early version of a doublet based on the pattern described in the Medieval Tailor’s Assistant book. I machine sewed the garment with hand finishing and hand done eyelets.
- Leather shoes: Machine basting stitch, hand sewn after
- Leather Coin Pouch: Hand finished
- Scented body powder: ground orris root and clove body powder
- Leather garters: Purchased buckles, dyed vegetable tanned leather and hand finished
- Leather girdle belt for Braies: Purchased bronze buckle, dyed vegetable tanned leather and hand finished
- Garnet Ring
- Garnet Brooch